Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 00:10:58 +0100

Le 04/01/2023 à 23:41, David Kastrup a écrit :
Again, the size of a manual that will get copied repeatedly and
indefinitely and the size of a document that is transferred once to a
printer are different things, and the quoted reply of a Ghostscript
developer suggests that they are not willing or able to view the
realities of one use case as similarly important or relevant as the
other.

We are going around in circles. However hard we work, there will be
a tradeoff at the point we drop the PS backend. I definitely don't
think the size increase of notation.pdf from 5MB to 20MB outweighs
the cost of maintaining the PS backend.

Cairo's primary focus is not on PDF features. If I were a Cairo
maintainer vetting a patch to add an option to disable font embedding
because "we have this niche use case for it, and the developers
of the main tool to work with PDFs don't want to support our
use case, so we need Cairo to work around it", I would say no.