Re: Printing barnumber 1 (oh no, not again)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Printing barnumber 1 (oh no, not again)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 13:36:25 +0100

Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> "Ok, Madams and Sirs, let's start again from measure 1."
>>
>> Voice from the viola section: "We don't have bar numbers in our score."
>
> Oh, I didn't know you guys had viola jokes too :-)

I like the rather long-winded joke where a philharmonic orchestra is
preparing for a long concert trip overseas.  Just before their
departure, the conductor has a heart attack and is hospitalized.  It
would be utterly devastating to have to cancel everything.  Big crisis.
The lead viola player pipes up and says "I once were in a conducting
course.  I can do that."

Nobody's happy about that, but they have little choice.  They do it like
that.

The concert tour is a tremendous success.  The conductor is
recuperating, and on the first rehearsal after the tour, he can take
over again.  The lead viola player sits down among his colleagues.  They
all stare at him, furled brows, angry looks.  "Uh, what's wrong?"
"Where the heck have you been the whole concert tour?"

--
David Kastrup