Re: Spacer Rests Global Confusion

From: R
Subject: Re: Spacer Rests Global Confusion
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2018 12:02:44 -0400

On 4/26/2018 11:56 AM, Simon Albrecht wrote:
On 26.04.2018 17:49, R wrote:
Just one last question to pick your brain. Assuming I build an entire symphonic piece using global block as holder of tempo and markings. For a full score when I want to only show tempo markings above certain staves, how is this easiest done? I understand they must obviously appear in all parts but using a global block like this does it make it easy to hide such tempo in the master score? I was reading about consists but I do not understand it I'm sorry.

You don’t need to do anything special. LilyPond by default _only_ prints tempo indications at the very top of the system, regardless in which staves you actually specified them.
This behaviour can be changed using custom contexts, see <http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=1010>

Best, Simon

Simon thank you for helpful explanations worked. But I must say that there is still a problem with the idea of the global block somehow being different than other variables of any name. Let me show you please.

First look at this correct code

% half note correct
\version "2.19.81"

global = {
 \tempo "Very Fast"
 s16*2 \tempo "New Tempo"

}

calledvariable = { c2 d }

 \new Staff { \calledvariable }

%

When the duration of the called variable is explicitly given, everything is correct. However, if you remove the duration and have it default to the normal quarter note, this causes a problem. But it shouldn't.

% this snippet has 16th notes which is broken and wrong
\version "2.19.81"

global = {
 \tempo "Very Fast"
 s16*2 \tempo "New Tempo"

}

calledvariable = { c d }

 \new Staff { \calledvariable }
%

This shows the default duration as a sixteenth note which should be NOT even considered since it's within an uncalled variable. So why is this spacer value magically applied to music when it resides it a completely uncalled variable? This makes no sense to me. Even this snippet makes things worse.

% This snippet with an uncalled variable somehow makes the duration whole notes but it shouldnt the variable has not been called why is this happening it's just a definition of a variable
% and yet it overrides called variables? So basically durations must be explicitly given if you use uncalled variables? So lost.

\version "2.19.81"

global = {
 \tempo "Very Fast"
 s16*2 \tempo "New Tempo"