Re: Dynamics offset suddenly changes

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Dynamics offset suddenly changes
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 21:20:37 +0100

Am Mo., 25. März 2019 um 10:42 Uhr schrieb Andrew Bernard
<address@hidden>:

> Anybody?
>
> I have tried experimenting with large values of \override
> DynamicLineSpanner.staff-padding to no avail. I am stumped. Is it a bug?
>
> Andrew
>

> On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 at 20:48, Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I have a score with a lot of dynamics, a string quartet. There is more or
>> less a continuum of dynamics and hairpins for each instrument. I am not
>> using a dynamics context as the complexity of the music and rhythms makes it
>> very tedious to figure out all the spacer rests that would be need. It's
>> more pragmatic to attach the dynamics to the notes for this particular work.
>> Generally in the score all the dynamics and hairpins line up nicely without
>> me having to adjust them, only occasionally. But now that I have over 100
>> pages, more and more often hairpins that go over the page break and should
>> join to a \p or \f etc on the next page are completely out of alignment.
>> It's as though the hairpin cannot see the ending dynamic indication.
>>
>> is there a reason for this, and is there a fix?
>>
>> Refer to the attached image for an example.
>>
>> Andrew

Hi Andrew,

without an example to reproduce the problem it's close to impossible
to say anything reasonable...

_Maybe_ you stumbled across a problem recently reported:
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Bug-restarting-staff-destroys-DynamicLineSpanner-staff-padding-after-line-break-td220605.html

A minimal triggering the problem (\break\stopStaff \startStaff needed)
and showing not aligning dynamics (\new Voice needed):

\new Staff {
  \override Staff.DynamicLineSpanner.staff-padding = 5
  c'1\f\>
  \break
  \stopStaff \startStaff
  e' <>\!
  \new Voice { d'\p\< e'\! }
}

Also, see my attempt of an workaround there.

HTH a bit,
  Harm