Re: Remote Ensemble Playing

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: Remote Ensemble Playing
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 10:51:43 +0200

> On 28 Mar 2020, at 12:00, Peter Gentry <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> I appreciate this is off topic but in these times of social isolation does
> anyone have any tips. Clearly latency is the main issue – I wonder could this
> be reduced by say hosting a Zoom meeting on a private router – maybe only one
> video for a conductor. Experience suggests that a latency of 25ms is not low
> enough.
> Regards Peter

The speed of sound in air at 20 C is about 343 m/s, and the book [1] by Michael
Barron, “Auditorium Acoustics and Architectural Design” says that on a distance
beyond 8 meters, it becomes difficult for an ensemble to perform, which is a
delay of about 23 ms.

The human internal clock runs at about 60-70 ticks per second, or about 16 ms.

One can have longer delays if everybody agrees to follow say the percussion
they hear, and then resynchronize the different musicians for the audience.

1.
https://books.google.com/books?id=InKLAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=distance+between+musicians+in+an+orchestra&source=bl&ots=4xlwKzzN04&sig=ACfU3U1bRnGzaor3S-xJKpyfq-wHc9ynSQ&hl=sv&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi29rnI6cboAhWrlIsKHQJLDL0Q6AEwC3oECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=distance%20between%20musicians%20in%20an%20orchestra&f=false