Re: Remote Ensemble Playing

From: Christian Masser
Subject: Re: Remote Ensemble Playing
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 12:06:56 +0200

Yep, I fully second that. It's by definition not "playing" together, mostly because of the total lack of spontaneity. But on the other hand, with a few - or to be more honest: a hell of - adjustments to the MIDI tempos in advance, you can in fact account for a great deal in terms of at least agogics.

You can then proceed with sending everyone the recording, if you want, letting them make their own adjustments and re-recording. This way you can get a decent piece of music out of it, instead of using the musicans only as MIDI instruments. (This is kind of the very slow way of a good orchestral rehearsal: Everyone brings an idea of his part according to the conducter and at the same time listens to the other ideas and adjusts individually to it.)

But to be honest, and having done both: you need a different subset of skills for this than you'll need in daily orchestral playing. The fewest musicians playing in orchestras do studio recordings where they get to play to click regularly.

Christian