Re: Remote Ensemble Playing

From: Curt McDowell
Subject: Re: Remote Ensemble Playing
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2020 01:51:07 -0700

On 3/31/2020 11:51 PM, Gianmaria Lari wrote:
Does anyone have any idea how these people is able to do things like these?

https://youtu.be/Sj4pE_bgRQI
https://youtu.be/3eXT60rbBVk

There was an article in USA Today about the Ravel. It was done by:

- Creating a short arrangement (4 minutes)
- Sending to each of 50 musicians a score and a full soundtrack including metronome clicks. LilyPond would be great for extracting parts.
- Giving them 4 days to record footage
- Editing the audio and video at length, and cheating by mixing in tracks from a previous performance by the same orchestra

In the past I tried to record both parts of a fast duet on a Casio keyboard. It would play back a track while allowing you to overlay it with another. The results were horrifying, even with no latency issues, and gave me an appreciation of how difficult synchronization is. (I had typeset the duet in LilyPond, maybe you have heard the world's most annoying music :)

-Curt