Re: A request on behalf of Turkish Music

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: A request on behalf of Turkish Music
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 18:20:33 +0000

From: Adam Good <address@hidden>
Date: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 11:27 AM
To: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>, Lilypond-user <address@hidden>

Hi everyone, I'm finally chiming in here...

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 8:38 AM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

Well, here's the question: Shall we add such glyphs at all?  A
cautionary and a digit can easily be combined on the macro level...

In my opinion, the best solution is create glyphs for the accidentals used in Turkish folk music. These accidentals get used in key signatures:

Learning how to create glyphs usable for Lilypond is very much far back on my bucket list but I can think of a million uses once I'd acquire it! Does anyone here want to help me or point me in the right direction for learning this??

The glyphs are defined in Metafont.

The font files are in the mf/ directory.

It’s a fun thing to play around with.  I cut my teeth on it with shape note noteheads.

There are online resources for learning Metafont.  There is a tutorial, and a link to the TeX code required to recreate The Metafontbook.  I purchased a copy of The Metafontbook quite inexpensively.  I suggest that you start with the Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metafont

Werner is an expert in this area (he helped write mf2pt1), and is certainly more useful than I am, but I’m happy to give you any advice you would like.

Good luck on this!

Carl