Re: A request on behalf of Turkish Music

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: A request on behalf of Turkish Music
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 21:17:23 +0200 (CEST)

[Carl, could you somehow improve the layout of your responses?  If I
 view the plain text version of your e-mails, it's completely
 impossible to differentiate between quoted material and your reply.
 But even in the HTML version I have such difficulties...

 What about using the classic '>' delimiter for quoted stuff (and a
 series of them for nested quotes)?]

>> Well, here's the question: Shall we add such glyphs at all?  A
>> cautionary and a digit can easily be combined on the macro level...
>
> In my opinion, the best solution is create glyphs for the
> accidentals used in Turkish folk music. These accidentals get used
> in key signatures:
>
>   http://www.turkuler.com/nota/ezgi_uzun_ince_bir_yoldayim.html

AFAIK, this doesn't make a difference – you can construct a Scheme
stencil that behaves identically to real glyphs.  However, what I
consider as the main reason for using real glyphs is the possibility
to use Lilypond's Feta font in other music typesetting applications
(as soon as it has been made compatible to the SMuFL encoding).

> Learning how to create glyphs usable for Lilypond is very much far
> back on my bucket list but I can think of a million uses once I'd
> acquire it!  Does anyone here want to help me or point me in the
> right direction for learning this??

Besides Knuth's METAFONT book you can also try the METAPOST user
manual:

https://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/texmf-dist/doc/metapost/base/mpman.pdf?revision=51290

> Werner is an expert in this area (he helped write mf2pt1), and is
> certainly more useful than I am, but I’m happy to give you any
> advice you would like.

Fortunately, others have recently played around with the Feta glyphs,
too.  I think that you can get collective advice if you write to the
'lilypond-devel' list (which is probably more suitable than
'lilypond-user').

    Werner