Re: markup-command boxing the real printed ink?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: markup-command boxing the real printed ink?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2021 15:45:28 +0200

Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> writes:

> Hello Harm,
>
> This is probably quite hard to do. Basically the problem here is that
> Lilypond does not in fact know the actual extent of the stencil. So to
> get that you’d somehow need to draw the stencil. So eighter you’d need
> to implement a custom drawing routine for "drawing" stencils within
> Lilypond, or you could try to do a function that takes a stencil,
> creates a new book containing that stencil, you’d then postprocess
> that file with a script that determines the actual extent and writes
> it into an auxiliary file, which is then included and gives the first
> function a value for overriding the extent.

You do realise that LilyPond processes outlines?  It would seem that
what Harm is asking for is recalculating markup bounding box dimensions
from its outline.  That would seem to require some C++ code I think, but
not at the low level you suggest.  More like adding something similar to
"with-outline" support to lily/stencil-integral.cc and
lily/stencil-interpret.cc .

--
David Kastrup