Re: \include inside function

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \include inside function
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 20:20:16 +0100

Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> writes:

> Hello David,
>
> An assignment basically adds a pair (symbol, value) to some assignment table.
> So shouldn’t it be possible to parse a file with a new assignment table and
> then convert this assignment table into a scheme accessible structure?

That's just wild handwaving.  Something like

bing = cis'
bing = { $bing 2-2 }
\score {
  \bing
}

does not resolve in such a manner since the _structure_ of the
expression containing $bing cannot be resolved without knowing the type
of bing at the time $bing is encountered.  You cannot postpone
assignments when parsing at the top level file level.

> I do not mean to say that assignments should not be performed, but
> that they should be performed in a different scope, which we then make
> accessible from the original scope.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with parsing and parsing structures.

> This could also enable some sort of name-spacing. Let’s say we have different
> Ly files that were not written with name-spacing in mind and then we want to
> do
> a project to combine these. Then instead of needing to rename assignment in
> one file we could do something like
>
> fileA = \include "fileA.ly"
> \fileA.score
>
> or something, whatever.