Re: Piping contents of SVG directly to stdout

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Piping contents of SVG directly to stdout
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 22:23:44 +0200

Hi,

Please keep the list posted, which allows everyone to comment and
benefit from the answers.

Le 17/07/2022 à 22:11, DoubleFelix a écrit :
Oh I see. Thank you! While we're here, do you have any tips for speeding up lilypond generation times?

If you're using the SVG backend, it is likely that most of the time
is spent generating the SVG. The current SVG backend is very slow;
this is a known issue. It is being improved upon currently, with
a new SVG backend based on the Cairo library, but Cairo support
isn't yet in the official binaries.

If you can avoid SVG and want speed, better avoid it.

If you can't, and you're comfortable with using the command line,
you can try building LilyPond yourself. The procedure is
explained thoroughly in
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/contributor/compiling,
but basically it's just "./autogen.sh --noconfigure; ./configure; make",
after you have installed all dependencies. To build LilyPond with
Cairo support, you need to run configure with --enable-cairo-backend.
Then compile your LilyPond files with out/bin/lilypond --svg -dbackend=cairo
(the flags must be in that order).

Apart from that, it's hard to tell what you can to to speed up
compilation without seeing the input you're giving to LilyPond.

Best,
Jean