Re: Piping contents of SVG directly to stdout

From: DoubleFelix
Subject: Re: Piping contents of SVG directly to stdout
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:28:26 -0500

To William:
Felix, I’m curious what you mean by cropping the file. Sounds to me like you are trying to just write a small snippet of music, maybe a few measures, and not have the output flooded by whitespace all around the size of an A4 paper? This is also similar to what I was using lilypond for and there are ways to do this without any external apps.

Actually this is exactly what I'm trying to do. My current setup uses a python library called svgpathtools to get the bounding box, then I do some basic manipulation of the width, height, and viewbox parameters to trim all of the excess whitespace out. Although I am very interested in how you can do this without any additional utilities.

To Henning Hraban Ramm:
I never used the SVG backend, but maybe the lilypond-book header works
with it, too?
It helps to create small snippets, I used the following settings in my
LilyPond setup for ConTeXt:

I gave this a go and it still seems to generate a large amount of whitespace.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 1:44 AM Henning Hraban Ramm <lilypondml@fiee.net> wrote:
Am 18.07.22 um 06:39 schrieb William:
> Felix, I’m curious what you mean by cropping the file. Sounds to me like
> you are trying to just write a small snippet of music, maybe a few
> measures, and not have the output flooded by whitespace all around the
> size of an A4 paper? This is also similar to what I was using lilypond
> for and there are ways to do this without any external apps.

I never used the SVG backend, but maybe the lilypond-book header works
with it, too?
It helps to create small snippets, I used the following settings in my
LilyPond setup for ConTeXt:

% --- start of setup for single-line output files ---
#(define default-toplevel-book-handler
   print-book-with-defaults-as-systems )

#(define toplevel-book-handler
   (lambda ( . rest)