Re: Circles

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Circles
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 12:49:32 +1000

Thanks Silvain,

As I mentioned previously on the list my background is maths and I understand Beziers, and I have implemented very compact code to do this. I appreciate your help in any case. Actaully, the main basis for the original post was to query what approach Lilypond takes.

I also give references to pages that give a clear derivation of the kappa value: 0.5522847498. I observe this is different to your value but I believe it to be correct based on this derivation:

http://whizkidtech.redprince.net/bezier/circle/kappa/

Wikipedia gives a similar derivation with the exact same value.

Not sure where your different number comes from.

This hardly matters as even four decimal places is probably overkill for Lilypond.

You can see my (poor first attempt but correct Bezier approximation_ in the topic 'Help with custom noteheads'.

Andrew