Re: Problems with musicxml2ly

From: Paul Hodges
Subject: Re: Problems with musicxml2ly
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:01:39 +0000

From: Jacques Menu <imj-muzhic@bluewin.ch>

The legend on this page is misleading: the files that can be downloaded clicking on the supposedly MusicXML icon have a ‘.mxl’ suffix, i.e. they are MuseScore files in fact:

.mxl files are the standard compressed form of Music XML files; the Music XML file is compressed as a .zip file which is then renamed .mxl.

As to the original issue - my experience is that Music XML files always require a lot of processing to get acceptable output - I just treat them as a means of inputting notes, and remove all the extraneous formatting, and simplify and rewrite the score layout until it's correct.  Music XML is far from a satisfactory medium for transmitting formatted scores.

Sometimes I find it helps to read the Music XML into Dorico and write a new Music XML file from there; but in this case Dorico sees similar problems, with five staves for the organ, and also overlaid words in some places which LilyPond manages better.

Paul