Re: Problems with musicxml2ly

From: Jacques Menu
Subject: Re: Problems with musicxml2ly
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 09:36:42 +0100

Hello Mark,

Unfortunately I do not know any way to produce a small  xml  that will give this error.
The file I wanted was "O holy night" by Adolphe Adam (translated into English) adapted
by P. Le Bas.
It came from this address:

The legend on this page is misleading: the files that can be downloaded clicking on the supposedly MusicXML icon have a ‘.mxl’ suffix, i.e. they are MuseScore files in fact:

PNG image

I know, it’s unfortunate that this suffix is so close to ‘.xml’…

The first page this gives in the recent MuseScore 4.0.0r is:

PNG image

Exporting all the parts to MusicXML produces the attached O_Holy_Night.xml file. Note that MusicXML is a textual format, and one can open such files with any text editor:

PNG image

Here again. a suffix point: historically, MusicXML has used ‘.xml’, which is marked as obsolete by MuseScore. An attempt to change that to ‘.musicxml’ doesn’t seem to have gained approval yet, though.

Converting O_Holy_Night.xml to LilyPond with:

musicxml2ly (LilyPond) 2.23.82

Copyright (c) 2005--2022 by

    Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@xs4all.nl>,

    Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> and

    Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold@kainhofer.com>

    Patrick L. Schmidt <pls@philomelos.net>

produces the attached O_Holy_Night.ly, converted to the attached O_Holy_Night.pdf file by LilyPond.

HTH!

JM