lout-users

Re: the next version of Lout

From: Paul Zarucki
Subject: Re: the next version of Lout
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:25:36 +0000

Hi,

I would just like to say that I definitely think Lout has a future. I use it in a web based document production system where the documents are stored in a database in HTML format, edited in a web browser using a (somewhat) WYSIWYG HTML editor, and then typeset for printing or PDF using Lout (with the help of a rudimentary HTML-to-Lout converter written in PHP). I intend to publish the code when I am happy with it.

I tried other typesetting solutions, such as wkhtmltopdf, html2ps, or simply printing from the web browser, but these didn't work as well as Lout for producing professional-looking paginated output. The fact that Lout is a single, relatively small, executable also helps when using it as a component in a larger application, which is partly why I preferred it over Latex (and the fact that Latex seemed more intimidating).

Regards,
Paul.