lout-users

Re: the next version of Lout

From: Mark T. B. Carroll
Subject: Re: the next version of Lout
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 18:26:15 -0500

Jeff Kingston <address@hidden> writes:

> This would change Lout into a thing that was maintained
> directly by interested people generally, rather than by me.

For me, one of the big advantages of Lout over LaTeX is the consistency
of thinking throughout it. Everything plays well with everything else in
a similar programming style. I am assuming that this is largely because
you were heavily involved with it all.

> What do people think about this?

... so, at least, some kind of "what would Jeff have done?" filter on
contributions would, I think, have some value, not that I'd want to
unduly divert time from work on Nonpareil. (-:

I'd certainly agree with the version control thoughts. And, also, that
something better than subversion be used -- everywhere I've coded at has
moved on from subversion. People have mentioned git, which has a bit of
a learning curve but is also increasingly popular; it's indeed probably
the one to go for. darcs and mercurial are also good but I don't hear
about them so much. But, anything vaguely modern would be good for which
suitable hosting is provided.

Mark