lwip-users

[lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: [lwip-users] Re: [lwip] Should LwIP go (L)GPL ?
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 01:21:18 -0000

My thoughts on going GPL:

> One of things I'd like to see before more work is done,
> is that the LwIP should go GPL or LGPL to prevent people
> from using the code, and not contributing back to the project
>
> thoughts?

I think the BSD license works best for most of the real developers:
they can submit important core changes/additions to lwIP, and
keep platform/product specific stuff for themselves.

The mailing list shows enough potential to improve and expand the
lwIP source tree by some serious submitters. Choosing GPL will
probably drive away some of these submitters from the project, as
it is a bit too restrictive for companies to work with.

As for the people who are violating the BSD license; they will
probably also violate the GPL license, so I wouldn't expect
any increase in feedback there.

In short, I think BSD is a very common-sense license with the
right attitude for people with the right attitude.

Regards,

Leon.