m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Arabic translit IME

From: Joop Kiefte
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Arabic translit IME
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 16:44:58 +0200

Here a version now with vowels added.

The input method was created based on, but not following any of, the mentioned systems, as they are made for romanization and not transliteration. I have tried to find for every arabic character a character that is both commonly used to write it (including in chat, because most people who write arabic without an arabic keyboard are aware of this way to write it, plus the numbers used are mnemonic of the form of the letters), reduced to one letter, one letter with preceding dot for disambiguation (again, mnemonic with the actual letter forms), or sometimes a dot before an already dotted number (non-dotted number is the number itself) for their derivatives. As such the system should be reasonably easy to use to input the language after a little training, instead of having to learn all of the keyboard by heart, but by all means, this is a compromise system.

If any better transliteration system comes around (e.g. a formal standard like inscript for indian languages), a transliteration based input method should probably start using that, but as such a system does not yet exist, this is my working first version of such a system.

Probably over time it would be good to also have a romanization-based input system (like Microsoft Maren), but this is way more involved, so I didn't start to try that yet.

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM, K. Handa <address@hidden> wrote:
In article <address@hidden>, Joop Kiefte <address@hidden> writes:

> Because I think it's quite a shame to only have a kbd variant for Arabic,
> which is basically impossible to use when you don't have an arabic
> keyboard, I set out to make a translit variant for Arabic, and here it is.
> It uses direct correspondence where possible, and prefix dot to distinguish
> number input and characters that would be romanized with the same
> character. I hope this is useful for some people, and I would love to see
> it included in contrib.

Thank you for the contribution.  But, according to the
wikipedia, there are many transliteration systems for
Arabic.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Arabic

Is your version based on some of them?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden

--
Joop Kiefte

BM: BM-2cU7makjmuWMHXdjufjBqcSNLzyznTyk8E (web)