[Monotone-devel] legacy I18N and tickers (was Re: 0.26 status update)

From: Graydon Hoare
Subject: [Monotone-devel] legacy I18N and tickers (was Re: 0.26 status update)
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:28:30 -0700

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

lapo> BTW: That's a good idea, up to now I was translating in/out
lapo> (ingresso/uscita in italian) as "ing."/"usc." but that is very ugly,
lapo> arrows are much nicer =)

Well, except it breaks under some circumstances...

Agreed. There are really a couple unfortunate behaviors colluding here:

1. We consider "multiple tickers with same name" a fatal error, which it probably isn't. We can probably cook up a fallback behavior which is not too bad.

2. The French translation contains characters which can't be encoded as 8859-1. I think this should probably be avoided. It will help compatibility in general if people doing translations in locales with strong legacy character sets restrict their translations to those character sets (even if using the Unicode codepoints and UTF-8 encoding). If your locale has a lot of ISO-8859, ISO-2022, KOI, KS-C, JIS-X, EUC, or GB users kicking around, it's probably best to stick to Unicode characters drawn from those sets.

Maybe we will need to add a chapter for translators, covering such picky details, to the not-yet-written "hacking monotone" guide. In the meantime please don't use the up and down arrows; if you're convinced you want non-word symbols, + - will do in a pinch, or /\ \/, or > < (assuming your locale fixes a mental model of LTR or RTL writing).

Alternatively, try wandering through a thesaurus looking for "evocative" words. They don't need to be precise translations. Consider:

  send / receive
  push / pull
  give / take
  gain / lose