Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp

From: Johan Bolmsjö
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 20:12:50 +0200

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 19.57, Steven E. Harris wrote:
> Rob Schoening <address@hidden> writes:
> > But as you alluded to, it is too clever for its own good in a lot of
> > ways.
>
> My favorite CC dynamic view/mvfs feature is the view and its config
> spec, allowing a workspace to be a projected view across a cascade of
> overlaid branches. That is, branches can be used to hold the minimal
> set of changes necessary against some "parent" or "base" branch. The
> entire repository content doesn't need to made part of this
> "overlaying" or "child" branch; rather, one looks "through" this child
> branch to see the rest of the base content beyond.
>
> Using a visual analogy, it reminds me of those transparency-based flip
> books showing, say, human anatomy. Each sheet only contains only the
> information different from and superimposed over the layers
> below. Just as it's easy to hold up a given sheet and say, "This one
> just shows the blood vessels", in ClearCase it's easy to look at a
> branch and say, "This branch just contains my three changes to these
> files". Branch content can thus be thought of like a patch against its
> ordered list of "base" branches.
>
> Setting up views that work this way requires a particular pattern of
> config spec rules that I won't bother detailing here. Suffice it to
> say it's possible, and quite a pleasure to work with.

I guess we are all wired differently, the config spec is the one thing that I
absolutely hate about clearcase. You have to be very anal about storing
config specs if you want to be able to recreate a build that you sent to some
one. "Oh, so you had a problem with this build.. Let me just dig up that
missing CS".

Just being able to do "mtn propagate foo bar" to rebase is a blessing.

/Johan