[Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp

From: Steven E. Harris
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Problems with _MTN/tmp
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:41:58 -0700

Johan Bolmsjö <address@hidden> writes:

> You have to be very anal about storing config specs if you want to
> be able to recreate a build that you sent to some one.

True, to a point: In the system I describe, our config specs were
written out by a script, with configuration data for the script itself
stored as versioned files in the repository. However, you are correct
that one needs some means of recreating a missing config
spec. Labeling versions across a view at significant moments makes it
easier to create a fresh config spec later to recall that state.

> Just being able to do "mtn propagate foo bar" to rebase is a
> blessing.

Bringing this back to monotone, are you suggesting that propagating
from one branch to another yields similar functionality to the
ClearCase model I described? Now that I think about it, you have a
point: the end result is about the same. It's just harder to tell what
the minimal set of differences are between the two branches.

--
Steven E. Harris