Re: [Monotone-devel] New project: libmtn

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New project: libmtn
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:22:45 -0500

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:44:25PM +0400, Arseny Nasokin wrote:
> calling executable is very expensive operation from any lang, except
> shell where it's normal.

In my experience, your statement is a bit of an exaggeration.
Regardless, are you familiar with the `mtn automate stdio' command?
Take a look at section 5.9 of the manual for documentation.
Essentially, you can run one instance of monotone, that means only one
fork, only one exec call.

> SQLLite doesn't support clustering and networking

Why is that necessary when you should be relying upon monotone itself
to do the network distribution of the database?  Clustering and
networking is really a built-in feature of monotone.  True, it's at a
different level of the application stack, but monotone is a lot more
intelligent about the data found in the database than a simple
clustering algorithm.

> Git, for example, provide small microcommands, which can be safely
> used in scripts, which provide complex commands why not them here?!

I believe Nathanial stated that all we need is manpower to add
features to the automate command.

> No, for example I have software, which can produce only diffs for
> something text. I want save it into _one_ place. This is simple
> nonstandart frontend example.(debug commands?!!!)

Hmm...  Perhaps an example or detailed use case for the work you're
trying to accomplish would be helpful here.

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>           http://www.wookimus.net/