Re: [Monotone-devel] New project: libmtn

From: Arseny Nasokin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] New project: libmtn
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:29:01 +0400

I have created www project development envirounment {Zope 3, python}.
        {{ because it much better, than launchpad and many same projects}}
Today's - corparative only, but I plan publish this project about at
september-october (possibly - open access for it)
The monotone selected as the best solution from others, and I plan rewrite
viewmtn for much more access features.(not only view, but also edit)

Also I want create monotone db access representations for SVN, CVS and some
others with some additional info loss for them.

(some local comments followed)

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 10:22:45AM -0500, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 05:44:25PM +0400, Arseny Nasokin wrote:
> > calling executable is very expensive operation from any lang, except
> > shell where it's normal.
>
> In my experience, your statement is a bit of an exaggeration.
> Regardless, are you familiar with the `mtn automate stdio' command?
> Take a look at section 5.9 of the manual for documentation.
> Essentially, you can run one instance of monotone, that means only one
> fork, only one exec call.
>
> > Git, for example, provide small microcommands, which can be safely
> > used in scripts, which provide complex commands why not them here?!
>
> I believe Nathanial stated that all we need is manpower to add
> features to the automate command.

sometime, it's not possible use automate, for example in www envirounment.
It's too asynchronous and can't be batch-scripted.

> > SQLLite doesn't support clustering and networking
>
> Why is that necessary when you should be relying upon monotone itself
> to do the network distribution of the database?  Clustering and
> networking is really a built-in feature of monotone.  True, it's at a
> different level of the application stack, but monotone is a lot more
> intelligent about the data found in the database than a simple
> clustering algorithm.

SQLLite locks are too hard and time-expencive for my solution.

> > No, for example I have software, which can produce only diffs for
> > something text. I want save it into _one_ place. This is simple
> > nonstandart frontend example.(debug commands?!!!)
>
> Hmm...  Perhaps an example or detailed use case for the work you're
> trying to accomplish would be helpful here.

see above
--
   Best regards,
        Arseny Nasokin