Re: [Monotone-devel] ikiwiki and monotone

From: Daniel Carosone
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ikiwiki and monotone
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:04:29 +1000

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 07:00:10AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 01:06:43PM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
>
> > From what I've seen/read so far, ikiwiki works almost exactly like how
> > I've always wanted a wiki to work, and will fit very well with
> > monotone.
>
> From that paragraph I surmise that ikiwiki is a totally distributed
> wiki, in the same way that monotone is a totally distributed revsion
> control system -- i.e., something I've been wanting for a while.  Or
> that is is close to being so, except for its unfortunate lack of
> monotone.  Is this right?

You're right about the unfortunate lack of monotone (though that seems
like it shouldn't be too hard to resolve), and close enough about the
rest.

With a distributed VCS, it can be a distributed wiki. You work in the
source directory, editing page source using your favourite editor,
commit to your VCS, and re-make the website.  It also has a cgi mode
that lets you edit the 'normal' wiki way too.  Generate locally, push
to the VCS running on the/a box hosting the content.. sync and merge
with other copies.

It has some cute page-inlining tricks and structural conventions that
let subpages look like a blog, and (with perhaps a bit more work and
more structure conventions) you could build a reasonable bugtracker
with it too.

So when you're offline working happily on your program with your
offline distributed VCS, you can update web documentation and bug/todo
status too - and later sync the bug closure and blog entry about what
fun the heroic bughunting session at the bottom of an abandoned mine
shaft was at the same time as the code that fixes it.  At the moment,
if you want to update (or even check) bug status, you come to a
screaming halt without a network connection to your
RT/bugzilla/gnats/savannah/etc.

--
Dan.