Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions pertaining Eclipse Integration

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Questions pertaining Eclipse Integration
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 19:12:44 -0500

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 00:37 +0200, Ulf Ochsenfahrt wrote:
[...]
> The passphrase dialog on commit is my biggest problem right now. If the
> passphrase is set in the default monotonerc, then I'd rather just use
> that. If it's not set, I have to ask the user. Jon's original code would
> always ask the user, my current code never asks. Both approaches are
> clearly wrong.
>
> This is not solvable with hooks. If I override the passphrase hook, I
> can never use the passphrase from monotonerc. If I don't, I get stuck if
> the user doesn't provide it in monotonerc.

old_get_passphrase = get_passphrase
function get_passphrase(keyname)
  -- do whatever, maybe including calling old_get_passphrase
end

Of course, for your hook to be able to announce that the passphrase
wasn't provided to old_get_passphrase and have your plugin supply it
you'd probably need another channel of communication between monotone
and your plugin.

> More generally, for correctness, I'd rather have monotone fail instead
> of ask the user in all cases, when run in the background. Now and with
> whatever extensions at whatever point in the future. That's why I'm
> asking for a global flag.

Maybe we can have a "can you use this key?" thing under automate that
will say whether you need to supply the password?

> Alternatively, one could make the automate interface more powerful
> (needs at least add, drop, rename, and commit commands) and interpret
> that as --non-interactive.

This would probably be good, but can probably only work for the password
prompt.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net