Re: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Directory already exists?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 16:32:38 -0600

On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 10:20 +1100, Brian May wrote:

>     J> *warning cannot create path box2d, already exists* well of
>     J> course it does, I just got through a partial update!
>
> By "partial update" I assume you mean monotone half completed the
> update and left the working directory in a inconsistent state as a
> result.
>
> Updates should be atomic. Either it fully works or doesn't work at
> all.

That's not possible until we get transactional filesystems.

> If the update isn't atomic, maybe that is the bug you need to chase.

We can't make it atomic.

We can probably make it recoverable/restartable, just keep track of what
we still had left to do.

We *might* be able to make it take a switch to just stomp on things it
doesn't understand, but that gets to be pretty similar to just removing
and recreating your workspace.

> What version of monotone is this?

All versions.

--