Re: [Monotone-devel] list branches on server?

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] list branches on server?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 16:21:56 -0500

On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 14:01 -0400, Stephen Leake wrote:
> Timothy Brownawell <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 2009-08-22 at 19:13 +0200, Thomas Keller wrote:
> >> Maybe we should get an idea of how to manage security here first?
> >
> > Use people's monotone keys as (self-signed) client certificates
> > (assuming it doesn't make sense for there not to be a way to retrieve
> > the key info from the ssl layer), and add a lua hook
> > "get_automate_command_permitted(command_name, key_info)" that's checked
> > when anyone tries to an automate command from the network. So everything
> > would be controlled by lua hooks, based on the key the client uses.
>
> And the default hook returns false, so all permissions have to be
> explicitly added?
>
> And that hook has to run on the server, not the client.

Yes.

> We could leave it up to the hook to get the key_info, assuming there
> are Lua functions to do that. It could alternately just use the ssl
> login name, or something else.
>
> But I guess the key_info is the best form of user identification?
>
> On the other hand, ssl already has its own access control. Do we
> really need another layer?

I didn't think ssl had login names, just certificates (keys). Are you
thinking ssh here, or are there more features available than I thought?

> I guess we do; if there are several monotone databases on a machine,
> they might want different permissions, while ssl just grants access to
> the machine.

We do need something more detailed than "connected" vs "not connected",
for example like what get_{read,write}_permitted() currently allow.

> Where do we write down these design decisions?

I guess it would need a wiki (but how can it be a wiki without an edit
button?) page. I don't see anything there now, besides a brief mention
on the FutureCryptography page.