Re: [Monotone-devel] list branches on server?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] list branches on server?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:24:16 -0400

Zack Weinberg <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Do we have a list of such problems? Maybe we can just assume boost got
>>> better :).
>>
>> The two that come to mind are
>>  * different (and therefore annoying) build system
>>  * version skew wrt libstdc++, eg boost and monotone have
>>   different ideas of what exactly an std::string looks like
>
> I suppose I should pop back in at this point, since I started the asio
> branch, and admit that I got stuck.

Can you add an entry in the mtn wiki BranchStatuses page
(http://www.monotone.ca/wiki/BranchStatuses/)?

> In addition to the above problems, asio has what is IMO a serious
> design flaw: its I/O channel objects are statically typed. Since we
> wish to treat sockets, pipes, and whatever-fds-0-and-1-are as
> interchangeable, this requires a large hairy wrapper around all asio
> interfaces, which I started but got bogged down on.

I was just reading thru the asio docs, and wondering "where is the
base IO object type". I gather the answer is "there isn't one"! So I
agree, that's a design flaw.

> I'm also not sure asio's Windows support is good enough for us.

I'll see if I can build a small example that tests the essentials.

> I've been looking at libevent instead, but it has its own problems,
> e.g. not handling the creation of a network socket.  It's written in
> C, though, so there's no question of ABI skew, and it uses a normal
> build system.

That sounds good; I'll see if I can work up a Windows example for that
as well.

--
-- Stephe