[Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.experiment.database-management

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.experiment.database-management
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 00:08:11 +0200

Hi all!

I think I've fleshed out most of the bugs and annoyances of the initial
implementation of the database management branch and also updated the
documentation and test cases accordingly. For all of you who haven't
followed the development before, here is a short summary of what changes
in this branch:

* databases are now not only addressable via their full path, but also
  via their file names (dubbed aliases); these aliases start with a
  single colon ":" followed by the name of the file (with or without
  the suffix ".mtn", which automatically gets appended if not given)
* the location of these "managed" databases is configurable and defaults
  to $HOME/.monotone/databases
* both clone and setup create and initialize a default database if none
  is given, but both no longer keep it inside their bookkeeping
  directory, but let it reside in the managed database area (default
  $HOME/.monotone/databases/default.mtn, also configurable, of course)
* to ease the management of those "specially located" databases a new
  "list databases" command has been introduced which lists all known
  valid databases and their configured workspaces. The latter is
  updated automatically as soon as a managed workspace is set or removed
  for a particular workspace, i.e. also for checkout, clone, setup,
  update, basically everything which accepts a -d option.
* many under-the-hood changes wrt workspace option handling and the
  database code in general

Please review the branch and tell me what you think. If you think this
is good as is to land in mainline, cool, then I'd happily see that as
one of the last few features for the upcoming release.

Thanks for your time,
Thomas.