Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.experiment.database-management

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.experiment.database-management
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 21:42:48 -0500

On 05/23/2010 05:08 PM, Thomas Keller wrote:

Hi all!

I think I've fleshed out most of the bugs and annoyances of the initial
implementation of the database management branch and also updated the
documentation and test cases accordingly. For all of you who haven't
followed the development before, here is a short summary of what changes
in this branch:

* databases are now not only addressable via their full path, but also
   via their file names (dubbed aliases); these aliases start with a
   single colon ":" followed by the name of the file (with or without
   the suffix ".mtn", which automatically gets appended if not given)
* the location of these "managed" databases is configurable and defaults
   to $HOME/.monotone/databases

What about Windows? That uses %APPDATA%\monotone instead of ~/.monotone . ... I see the hook uses get_confdir() so it's fine, just the documentation is a bit off.

One of the tests has two "foo.mtn" databases in different managed directories. It looks like in this case there's no way to use either of those as a managed database, because they can only be found by giving the full path?

* both clone and setup create and initialize a default database if none
   is given, but both no longer keep it inside their bookkeeping
   directory, but let it reside in the managed database area (default
   $HOME/.monotone/databases/default.mtn, also configurable, of course)
* to ease the management of those "specially located" databases a new
   "list databases" command has been introduced which lists all known
   valid databases and their configured workspaces. The latter is
   updated automatically as soon as a managed workspace is set or removed
   for a particular workspace, i.e. also for checkout, clone, setup,
   update, basically everything which accepts a -d option.

I don't see a way to gc the managed workspace list, if I just rm a workspace without unregistering it first.

* many under-the-hood changes wrt workspace option handling and the
   database code in general

Please review the branch and tell me what you think. If you think this
is good as is to land in mainline, cool, then I'd happily see that as
one of the last few features for the upcoming release.

--
Timothy

Free public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net