Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.experiment.database-management

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.experiment.database-management
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 11:53:31 +0200

Am 25.05.2010 14:31, schrieb Timothy Brownawell:
> On 05/25/2010 07:10 AM, Thomas Keller wrote:
>> What is your general feeling about the branch? Do we need an explicit
>> garbage-collecting functionality for the registered workspaces? What
>> would you propose?
>
> I like it in general.
>
> There should be some way to remove old workspaces. A full gc would be
> nice, but from what Stephen said there should also (or instead) be a way
> to remove individual stale workspaces.

There are now three new commands, register-workspace,
unregister-workspace and cleanup-workspace-list, in
d9da4bb2f1e5c7d80912531327ce4f727e2adad6. I think this shoudl be sufficient.

> Having multiple managed db directories adds potential for confusion, and
> doesn't seem terribly useful. The best case that comes to mind is if you
> want to keep some of your dbs on removable media, but I think that would
> be better made explicit so you don't accidentally init a new db on the
> wrong disk, or attach something to a removable db when you meant to init
> a new one.

Stephe gave a usage example in his other mail. I'll leave this in for
now, people can always opt out and only use one place to avoid confusion.

If no one else objects, I'll merge this into mainline in the next couple
of days.

Thomas.