Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.experiment.database-management

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Please review nvm.experiment.database-management
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 06:00:44 -0400

Thomas Keller <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 25.05.2010 04:42, schrieb Timothy Brownawell:
>>
>> I don't see a way to gc the managed workspace list, if I just rm a
>> workspace without unregistering it first.
>
> Yes, the lists are not cleaned and could possibly collect many
> non-existing workspaces at some time. I wasn't sure how to fix that
> properly, adding a "clean this stuff up" command just for that purpose
> seemed over-engineered and the only other thing I could come up with was
> "clean invalid paths on addition / removal of other paths". What do you
> think?

I don't think you want to clean "invalid" paths unless the user says to;
they might be on an NFS drive that is not currently mounted, for
example.

The workspace list is a cache; 'db regenerate-caches' would make sense,
but that's overkill. 'ws regenerate-list' would be a good command,
opening the door for other 'ws' commands; 'ws register', 'ws
unregister', 'ws move'. Or just 'ws-regenerate-list' for now.

Actually, to deal with the NFS issue, 'ws register' and 'ws un-register'
would be better now than 'ws-regenerate-list'. In my work flow, I never
have all of the NFS workspaces mounted at the same time.

--
-- Stephe