Re: [Monotone-devel] Quick poll: monotone-users list?

From: Ethan Blanton
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Quick poll: monotone-users list?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:44:37 -0400

Thomas Keller spake unto us the following wisdom:
> The discussion came up yesterday that some people are annoyed of the
> amount of tickt / savannah spam on the development list. I proposed to
> setup a dedicated "monotone-users" list which would not get these
> messages and which could serve as entry point for user requests /
> questions / problems and the like.

I was the one who brought this up, and this does not solve my problem.
I wish to follow monotone development and development issues, but I
am uninterested in changes to ticket status.  I explained this on IRC.

If other people think a -users list is useful, great, of course.

> I don't like to remove the ticket notifications from the devel list,
> because this basically hinders the awareness of new tickets - which we
> suffered from over the last couple of years.

A -tickets or -bugs list has solved this handily for a number of
projects to which I belong.

> So, would you like to see [+1] (or even subscribe to [+2])
> monotone-users? Or is monotone-devel, monotone-announce and
> monotone-i18n enough [-1]?

-1*i.  -devel + -announce + -i18n + -tickets would be superior.  ;-)

All of that said, as discussed on IRC, a procmail recipe also solves
my annoyance.  I do think that unsubscribing is less effort than a
procmail recipe, and you're likely to get people taking that route
rather than digging through savanna chuff, but that feeling isn't a
useful argument, and it probably doesn't matter even if it is -- those
people just aren't that interested.

If ticket spam is staying on -devel under any given proposal, I
consider the case closed as "Ethan is in the minority."  Which is
fine.  :-)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.