Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.48 rants
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:39:08 -0600

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Thomas Keller <address@hidden> wrote:
> So we _could_ extend the commit editor to do this, by providing fields
> that are the file args (allowing Unix shell wildcards would be best) and
> the --exclude arg.

If somebody would work on that, I'd rather let the user directly change
the changeset in the editor, but not the possible command line
restrictions which led to the changeset.

I agree with your concern here the idea of only removing more things from the changeset in the editor and even then I'm not sure it would be a good thing. You could presumably still create invalid changesets by removing the addition of a required parent directory, or by removing a rename operation and including an addition that was predicated on the removed rename.

For the moment I'd like to settle on a more acceptable format (or less offensive depending on your perspective) that can hopefully maintain the ability to edit things and keep the formats as similar as possible.

Cheers,
Derek