Re: [Monotone-devel] Please explain the release notes...

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Please explain the release notes...
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 13:34:06 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:14:04 -0400, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> said:

stephen_leake> Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> > In the release notes, there's a section saying we need to
check a
stephen_leake> > minimum set of targets:
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> > 1) Make sure that the buildbot looks reasonably green.  Let's
not
stephen_leake> >    release stuff that's known to be broken on any major
platforms, eh?
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> >    Also check that the following Makefile targets work:
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> >     Unix and Win32: all check
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> >     Unix : doc/monotone.pdf doc/monotone.ps distcheck dist
distclean
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> >     Win32: win32_installer
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> > What I'm wondering is this whole set of check, distcheck, dist
and
stephen_leake> > distclean...  distcheck calls the targets check, dist and
distclean
stephen_leake> > plus a whole bunch more, why do we need to try more than
distcheck?
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> Good point.
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> I wasn't clear what all of these did when I added this, but they
were
stephen_leake> all suggested by someone.
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> We certainly want check to pass on all targets; that's primary
monotone
stephen_leake> functionality.
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> distcheck calls check in different circumstances, so it can fail
while
stephen_leake> calling check directly can pass. I don't think the converse is
true.

Correct.  distcheck will create a tar file, unpack it in a temporary
directory and run all the subtargets within that directory (with a
separate build directory as well), so it's really the ultimate test of
all basic targets as the user will experience it.  It's the quickest
way to see if we have forgotten to add a file to any variable, for
example.

stephen_leake> It would make sense to delete dist and distclean, and possibly
check (on
stephen_leake> Unix), from the list; people can call those directly if needed
to debug
stephen_leake> distcheck problems.

I take it distcheck isn't exactly Win32 friendly...

stephen_leake> What list of targets are you actually proposing?

For Unix, I propose this
  all doc/monotone.pdf doc/monotone.ps  (build targets)
  distcheck                             (test and source packaging target)

For Win32, I guess it would be:
  all                   (build target)
  check                 (test target)
  win32_installer       (packaging target)

(this makes me think that we might want to have the build master
orchestrate an installer build whenever a new tag is received.
THAT would be a pretty cool use of it, and we certainly can have
that happen when it's convenient for the slaves)

stephen_leake> I'm not clear how to interpret the "..." in your message.

Depends, and I can understand the confusion.  Sometimes, it's juse an
elongated pause (that's what it was in this case), and sometimes, it
means there may be other items of the same kind.  So you're entirely
in your right to ask for precision here ;-).

                                        http://richard.levitte.org/