Re: [Monotone-devel] Please explain the release notes...

From: Richard Levitte
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Please explain the release notes...
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:03:39 +0100 (CET)

In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 15 Mar 2011 02:40:22 -0400, Stephen Leake
<address@hidden> said:

stephen_leake> Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> > I take it distcheck isn't exactly Win32 friendly...
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> Right. It's also not needed on Win32; we don't expect
stephen_leake> people to be creating new distributions there.

Point, and since we're doing distcheck regularly on Unix, that might
be enough to verify that the source distribution will be correct.

stephen_leake> Same for Cygwin; distcheck doesn't work there (I don't
stephen_leake> remember exactly why), so I suggest we give separate
stephen_leake> requirements for Cygwin as well.

Ok.

stephen_leake> > stephen_leake> What list of targets are you actually proposing?
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> > For Unix, I propose this
stephen_leake> >   all doc/monotone.pdf doc/monotone.ps (build targets)
stephen_leake> >   distcheck                            (test and source
packaging target)
stephen_leake> >
stephen_leake> > For Win32, I guess it would be:
stephen_leake> >   all                  (build target)
stephen_leake> >   check                        (test target)
stephen_leake> >   win32_installer      (packaging target)
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> For Cygwin:
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake>   all                    (build target)
stephen_leake>   check                  (test target)
stephen_leake>   ?                     (packaging target)

I assume that the Win32 you were talking about is Msys (or whatever
it's called, I've kind of lost touch with that side of development)?

Anyway, I'll have a go at the release notes on this.

stephen_leake> We don't have the Cygwin packaging code in the monotone
stephen_leake> repository. I think we should, since it is needed on
stephen_leake> Win32 to support file: and ssh: sync.

That would be nice.  Do you have the possibility to implement that for
post 1.0?  or does anyone else (anyone listening? ;-))

stephen_leake> > (this makes me think that we might want to have the build
master
stephen_leake> > orchestrate an installer build whenever a new tag is received.
stephen_leake> > THAT would be a pretty cool use of it, and we certainly can
have
stephen_leake> > that happen when it's convenient for the slaves)
stephen_leake>
stephen_leake> If the build master could also put the installer on the
stephen_leake> download page, that would be nice.

It's certainly possible to have it fetch the file and place it
anywhere it has access.

I'm going to experiment with this for Debian to start with, since
that's what I'm playing with anyway.

Cheers,
Richard