Re: [Monotone-devel] Please explain the release notes...

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Please explain the release notes...
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 08:20:37 -0400

Richard Levitte <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 15 Mar 2011 02:40:22 -0400, Stephen Leake
> <address@hidden> said:

> stephen_leake> > For Win32, I guess it would be:
> stephen_leake> >   all                        (build target)
> stephen_leake> >   check                      (test target)
> stephen_leake> >   win32_installer    (packaging target)
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake> For Cygwin:
> stephen_leake>
> stephen_leake>   all                  (build target)
> stephen_leake>   check                        (test target)
> stephen_leake>   ?                     (packaging target)
>
> I assume that the Win32 you were talking about is Msys (or whatever
> it's called, I've kind of lost touch with that side of development)?

It's MinGW; the "Minimalist GNU for Windows". Msys is part of MinGW, but
is only used while building. Some of the MinGW DLLs are packaged with
mtn in the Win32 installer; the installer is self-sufficient, so users
don't need a separate MinGW installation.

> Anyway, I'll have a go at the release notes on this.

Ok.

> stephen_leake> We don't have the Cygwin packaging code in the monotone
> stephen_leake> repository. I think we should, since it is needed on
> stephen_leake> Win32 to support file: and ssh: sync.
>
> That would be nice.  Do you have the possibility to implement that for
> post 1.0?  or does anyone else (anyone listening? ;-))

See INSTALL_windows_cygwin.txt for some info. Lapo is maintaining it in
his repository. I assume the license allows me to copy it into the
monotone repository, but I'll let him respond first.

Currently it's a branch; it.lapo.cygwin.ports. I'll look into whether it
makes sense to keep it a branch (like Debian is), or move it into a
directory, probably monotone/cygwin (parallel to monotone/innosetup for
MinGW).

--
-- Stephe