nano-devel

Re: Fw: nano key bindings

From: Peter Passchier
Subject: Re: Fw: nano key bindings
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 11:14:14 +0700

I find the nano keybinding defaults unworkable, so I have a heavily modified
.nanorc that I can quickly download to new machines (version mismatch is the
only minor issue in that case).

It is impossible to find keybindings that will please everyone, so I don't
think that is the solution. (But if you could change Search to default to
Ctrl-F then that would help many people I'm sure..!)

What would really help is a build-in way to change a keybinding from within the
session. Of course you could edit .nanorc and do it that way, but a more
beginners-friendly way to edit keybindings would be used by most people. It
would require a proper list of functions to be available within the interface
where current keybindings are shown and new ones can be assigned.

Perhaps a start (proof of concept) could be a separate binary to do this, and
once it works well it could be integrated, because having a single binary is
really good..!

Peter