nano-devel

Re: Fw: nano key bindings

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Fw: nano key bindings
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 11:27:21 +0100

Op 13-01-2023 om 15:54 schreef Chris Allegretta:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 01:01:58PM +0100, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
Do all other Ctrl+letter and Alt+letter keystrokes of nano work just fine?
Or are there still a few more that are grabbed by the browser?

It looks like there are a few 'essential' keys that that Firefox does not
to pass through to the session: namely ^W, ^N and ^T. All other keys I tested
seem to pass through to the client.

So the ^T Execute menu is inaccessible?  What about the keystrokes with Alt?
When in Cockpit I click the Terminal thing in the side bar, I get a terminal
on the local machine.  When I run nano there, almost all Control keystrokes
of the QWERTY row are intercepted by the browser.  ^Q and ^W ask if I really
want to leave the page, ^R asks the same but also makes nano enter the Insert
menu, ^T opens a new browser tab, ^Y does in nano what it should, ^U opens
a new browser tab with the source of the page, ^I inserts a tab in nano but
also opens a window with page info, ^O wants to write out the file in nano
but also open the file-opening dialog of the browser, ^P moves the cursor a
line up but also opens a dialog for printing the page.  In other words: in
this "Terminal" thing nano is completely unusable.

Under a debian install with proper virtualization support, you could
'apt install cockpit cockpit-machines' and then log into VM manager interface
on localhost:9090 to set up and connect to a sample VM.

I've installed Cockpit and can log in on https://localhost:9090.  But I can't
figure how to create a virtual machine -- it shows a boot sequence, but then
gets stuck sooner or later.  I doubt that my laptop is powerful enough to run
such a virtual machine.

Anyway, if these virtual machines are really so popular nowadays, then there
should be hundreds of people who can offer me a login through the browser to
a remote virtual machine.  Is there anyone here who can do that?  If so, then
please respond here and send me the URL, username and password in a private
email.

Benno