nano-devel

Re: Fw: nano key bindings

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: Fw: nano key bindings
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 13:01:58 +0100

Op 12-01-2023 om 22:23 schreef Chris Allegretta:
the default key that we advertise for search is, for more and more users nowadays, unfortunately destructive to their editing session.

When I try to close my Xfce terminal emulator while nano is still running,
I get a dialog box asking me "*Close window?* A process is still running."
Why does the terminal-in-the-browser not have the same feature?

And as Sébastien asks: why does the browser grab only ^W?  Why does it not
grab ^F to search in the terminal page, ^A to select all text in that page,
M-E to open the Edit menu of the browser?  And so on.  How does this work?
Do all other Ctrl+letter and Alt+letter keystrokes of nano work just fine?
Or are there still a few more that are grabbed by the browser?

Also, when running a terminal-in-the-browser, is nano running locally on
the same machine as the browser?  Or is a terminal-in-the-browser always
used to access a remote machine?

In the case of CS101 students, if they are using nano on a remote machine
through a browser on their local machine, then I would suggest to the admins
of that remote machine to put these two lines in its /etc/nanorc:

    bind ^F whereis main
    bind ^B wherewas main

To me, nano's intended audience was always the 1st year University student sitting down at the terminal in their CS101 class, who is actually looking at and being grateful for the 'bottombars', with the help description for the mainly used keys plainly written and accessible. I believe more and more nowadays those folks will likely be using some web terminal [...]

Can anyone on this list confirm that they use nano through a browser window
sometimes?

And is their anyone who can give me access to a terminal-in-the-browser so
that I can experience how this works?

Benno