pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 21:37:36 +0100

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 19:18:51 +0100
Detlef Graef <d.graef-ANTagKRnAhcb1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> maybe it is reasonable to create a branch for GTK3 in the public Pan
> Gitlab repo.
>
> When I build Pan with GTK3 I get a lot of warnings regarding deprecated
> GTK3 API calls.
>
> If I create a merge request regarding GTK3 changes I would like to have
> it in a own (GTK3) branch. I think by removing deprecated GTK3 API
> calls, GTK2 builds won't be possible anymore (don't want to have a huge
> number of #ifdef statements).
>
> Any opinions?

That's certainly doable but note that once you do it you essentially create
a fork, and then maintaining both versions in parallel will be hard if not
impossible.

But as GTK 2 is getting very old though still maintained upstream, we should
probably do something here. The first and easy step would be to switch GTK
3 to default at build time.

I wonder how many Pan users still require GTK 2 these days?

Cheers,
pk