pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?

From: Jack
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 11:14:27 -0500

On 12/29/21 08:46, Dominique Dumont wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 December 2021 00:16:04 CET Jack wrote:
I suspect the only cases of any importance would be any LST versions of
the major distros, which sometimes do get stuck with old libraries.  (I
use Gentoo and Artix, so I can't give any examples.)  It should be
possible to check the oldest LTS versions of Ubuntu and Gnome as examples.
We're not selling a product, this is an open source project. I don't want to
spend much time supporting old distros.
In general, I absolutely agree.  However, some users of LTS releases (even of major distros) are not always able to easily upgrade. However, we might also consider releasing an appimage or other standalone version of each release.  This is a single executable file, which includes all (most?  I don't know the intricate details) off the dependencies, so it can be run on just about any Linux system.
I would consider it reasonable to make that fork, and only backport
security fixes to GTK2, and do all new feature development in GTK3 only.
Which would require to maintain 2 branches and release 2 Pan projects (one
gtk3-only and one with gtk2 compat). Sorry, no.

I'm fine with creating a Gtk3 branch on Pan repo. But I don't consider this a
fork. It's just a workflow: in the short future, Gtk2 support will be dropped.

Once Gtk3-only is out and cleaned-up, we may want to look at Gtk4 and Wayland
support.

All the best

Dod