pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?

From: Jack
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 18:16:04 -0500

On 12/28/21 15:37, Petr Kovar wrote:
On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 19:18:51 +0100
Detlef Graef <d.graef-ANTagKRnAhcb1SvskN2V4Q@public.gmane.org> wrote:

Hi,

maybe it is reasonable to create a branch for GTK3 in the public Pan
Gitlab repo.

When I build Pan with GTK3 I get a lot of warnings regarding deprecated
GTK3 API calls.

If I create a merge request regarding GTK3 changes I would like to have
it in a own (GTK3) branch. I think by removing deprecated GTK3 API
calls, GTK2 builds won't be possible anymore (don't want to have a huge
number of #ifdef statements).

Any opinions?
That's certainly doable but note that once you do it you essentially create
a fork, and then maintaining both versions in parallel will be hard if not
impossible.

But as GTK 2 is getting very old though still maintained upstream, we should
probably do something here. The first and easy step would be to switch GTK
3 to default at build time.

I wonder how many Pan users still require GTK 2 these days?

I suspect the only cases of any importance would be any LST versions of the major distros, which sometimes do get stuck with old libraries.  (I use Gentoo and Artix, so I can't give any examples.)  It should be possible to check the oldest LTS versions of Ubuntu and Gnome as examples.

I would consider it reasonable to make that fork, and only backport security fixes to GTK2, and do all new feature development in GTK3 only.

Jack