pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?

From: Dominique Dumont
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:46:30 +0100

On Wednesday, 29 December 2021 00:16:04 CET Jack wrote:
> I suspect the only cases of any importance would be any LST versions of
> the major distros, which sometimes do get stuck with old libraries.  (I
> use Gentoo and Artix, so I can't give any examples.)  It should be
> possible to check the oldest LTS versions of Ubuntu and Gnome as examples.

We're not selling a product, this is an open source project. I don't want to
spend much time supporting old distros.

> I would consider it reasonable to make that fork, and only backport
> security fixes to GTK2, and do all new feature development in GTK3 only.

Which would require to maintain 2 branches and release 2 Pan projects (one
gtk3-only and one with gtk2 compat). Sorry, no.

I'm fine with creating a Gtk3 branch on Pan repo. But I don't consider this a
fork. It's just a workflow: in the short future, Gtk2 support will be dropped.

Once Gtk3-only is out and cleaned-up, we may want to look at Gtk4 and Wayland
support.

All the best

Dod