pan-devel

Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?

From: Petr Kovar
Subject: Re: [Pan-devel] GTK3 branch?
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 15:40:06 +0100

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:46:30 +0100
Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, 29 December 2021 00:16:04 CET Jack wrote:
> > I suspect the only cases of any importance would be any LST versions of
> > the major distros, which sometimes do get stuck with old libraries.  (I
> > use Gentoo and Artix, so I can't give any examples.)  It should be
> > possible to check the oldest LTS versions of Ubuntu and Gnome as examples.
>
> We're not selling a product, this is an open source project. I don't want to
> spend much time supporting old distros.
>
> > I would consider it reasonable to make that fork, and only backport
> > security fixes to GTK2, and do all new feature development in GTK3 only.
>
> Which would require to maintain 2 branches and release 2 Pan projects (one
> gtk3-only and one with gtk2 compat). Sorry, no.
>
> I'm fine with creating a Gtk3 branch on Pan repo. But I don't consider this a
> fork. It's just a workflow: in the short future, Gtk2 support will be dropped.

Creating branches in git is cheap, as long as the branch is kept mergeable
with master. Going forward, gtk2 could also live in its own branch,
diverged from master development if there's an interest to continue
maintaining it, but I don't think there will be.

Thanks for the info on the final release, Detlef, wasn't aware of it,
actually. RIP gtk2!

Cheers,
pk