paxutils-forum

Re: libpax?

From: Wolfgang Jährling
Subject: Re: libpax?
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 23:40:41 +0200

Joerg Schilling <address@hidden> wrote:
> In 1978 people most likely have been right when they stated that UNIX
> was the most popular OS on the world because there have been more than
> 100 UNIX installations... today numbers are different.

See, we're already more popular than UNIX was a while ago, and we're
quickly catching up. :*)

> If you look at freshmeat it is easy to find libtar.... however it suffers
> from the same bugs as PAX, GNU tar & GNU cpio. It definitely is a better
> start because it is writen cleanly.

Well, it uses a BSD license with advertising clause.  This does not mean
that I would completely object to using it (and neither am I the person
who has to decide on that), but if we have the same functionality as
part of GNU already, it seems a good idea to just use that.

> Please keep in mind that it is a bad idea to have a filesystem that is
> based on buggy code.

I don't see the difference between a program that happens to be a file
system and a program that is not a file system.  But of course it is
always a good idea to not base something on buggy code if one can avoid
it.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--