paxutils-forum

Re: libpax?

From: Wolfgang Jährling
Subject: Re: libpax?
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 01:15:16 +0200

Joerg Schilling <address@hidden> wrote:
> I don't understand why you like to be compatible to GNU tar?

As a user, I would expect that GNU tar and GNU tarfs are compatible.  As
a devloper, I would feel responsible for providing this compatility.  I
would like to avoid making the GNU operating system be incompatible
with itself.  But maybe there are issues which I am not aware of; for
example, I don't know how compatible GNU tar is (and will be) to other
versions of itself.

That is to say, my personal interest is to make tarfs be able to handle
as many tar archives as possible in ways that please the users.  I think
this is a goal worth aiming at and is more important than pure standards
compliance.

But of course, what eventually will happen depends on the paxutils
developers and the people implementing tarfs.  I wanted to raise the
issue here to get the opinion of the paxutils people.

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Jährling  <address@hidden>  \\  http://stdio.cjb.net/