paxutils-forum

Re: libpax?

From: Joerg Schilling
Subject: Re: libpax?
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 23:51:20 +0200 (MEST)

>From address@hidden Sun Jun 23 23:37:10 2002

>> If you look at freshmeat it is easy to find libtar.... however it suffers
>> from the same bugs as PAX, GNU tar & GNU cpio. It definitely is a better
>> start because it is writen cleanly.

>Well, it uses a BSD license with advertising clause.  This does not mean
>that I would completely object to using it (and neither am I the person
>who has to decide on that), but if we have the same functionality as
>part of GNU already, it seems a good idea to just use that.

I don't understand why you like to be compatible to GNU tar?

GNU tar is rather a big problem from a perspective of standard compliance.
The fact that GNU tar does not write long file names (*) in a standard compliant
way becomes more and more a real compatibility problem.

Even the latest alpha of GNUtar does not write compliant archives by default and
still has many problems with --posix (if you did run the compatibility test
you know more exactly).

Jörg

 EMail:address@hidden (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       address@hidden           (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1